Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Salon.com Life | I am so beautiful I have been maimed by men's attentions

Salon.com Life | I am so beautiful I have been maimed by men's attentions

. . . Perhaps you do not even know what you enjoy. You say you excelled at the professional things you cared about. Does caring about them mean that you enjoyed them? By enjoy I mean activities that allow you to forget about yourself, activities that are so entrancing, so involving that while you are doing them you are simply in the flow, in the sense that psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi uses the word.

I do not think that Csikszentmihalyi's theories, or anyone's theories, offer a complete answer. But they do offer a vivid picture of how ecstatic action can free us from a state of restless torpor and low-level desperation. They also suggest a route from self-objectification to self-actualization. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home